This map represents the positions of Functional Urban Areas (FUA) in 3 rankings related to nanosciences and nanotechnologies: European funding received (5th, 6th and 7th framework programs), knowledge exploration (number of publications) and exploitation (number of patent families).

Each of the 3 rankings is divided in 2 parts: the first 10% (high) and in the remaining 90 % (low).

Blue colours represent FUAs with low funding, Red colours represent FUAs with high funding received from the European Union.